Just like any sports equipment, baseball bats are pricey and taking care of your baseball bat can be difficult. Buying a new baseball bat is not only a big investment but also a sign of commitment to baseball as a sport. It is important to note that most people judge players on how they handle their bats because they are indications of the kind of players baseball players are. It is also important to note that although almost all bats are bought on warranties, the warranties are exceptional on the damages caused by careless handling of the bats. This gives importance taking care of the bat all times.You can check also What is a dead bat in baseball?
Just like any other sports equipment, a baseball bat will give you excellent service if you are good with it. Meaning, if you are taking care of the bat properly, it will show excellent performance too and a bat’s performance will detoretiate if it’s not taken care of properly. Either way, maintaining one’s equipment is an essential criterion to become a good baseball player. There are three ultimate issues when it comes to taking care of your baseball bats. These factors or routines include the following.
You can learn also –How to choose a perfect baseball bat
Cleaning Guidelines for Care Your Baseball Bat
Although cleaning the baseball bat is important, you should avoid the bat getting dirty as much as possible. However, cleaning the bat is important and by large extent unavoidable to any baseball player. In general, cleaning the bat must follow the following guidelines.
- First, you must use a softer washing material. This helps in preserving the general look of the bat. The detergent used must also be mild and strong washing detergents must be avoided for long-lasting color and inscriptions of the baseball bat.
- The frequency of cleaning must be subject to how frequent the bat gets dirty, and it is therefore important to avoid dropping the bat carelessly because it does not only make the bat dirty, but it is a poor sign of a good baseball player.
You can follow the following guidelines for different types of bats for care & cleaning.
Cleaning and care your wooden bats
Wooden bats are used in the highest level of the game, and cleaning them is somewhat different from other bats. It’s because wood can absorb water that can cause defects in the material, so you need to take caution while cleaning your wooden bat.
- You should use a soft towel or cloth, and rub it with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol can be effective in taking off the tar, grime, and sweat from the bat.
- Use a towel or cloth to wipe the bat from the top of the barrel to the handle. Especially, take care of the handle as it’s the place where most of your sweat has accumulated.
- When you’re finished with wiping the bat, take another wood bat and wipe it against various scratches and scrapes off the bat you are cleaning. This can help smooth out any rough spots of the bat.
- Store away the bat in a dry place when you are finished cleaning. It’s recommended to keep the bat away from sunlight and make sure the handle faces up, so the weight of the barrel doesn’t affect the handle.
Cleaning and care your aluminum bats
Aluminum bats are very easy to clean, and one of the easiest ways to clean is to use the traditional combination of soap and water.
- You’ll need warm water along with soap, and it would be better if the soap comes with a conditioner.
- Soak a washcloth (in this case an old sock will do) in soap and water, then rub the bat with it. Easier and small stains should come off. One piece of advice does not soak too much water on the bat’s gripping tape.
- When faced with difficult stains, use a toothbrush with hard bristles to remove them.
Cleaning and care your composite bats
Composite bats are typically light and durable; however, they need cleaning as well. The good news is that cleaning composite bats are relatively easy as well.
- You can use a clean moist terry cloth or a cotton cloth to get rid of the dirt on the bat.
- Next, again use the combination of warm water and soap. Use a clean cloth or sponge to apply the soap and water to the bat. Scrub harder to remove stubborn marks and scuffs. However, keep in mind not to use too much soap.
- It’s recommended to use dish soap without any bleach.
- Now, after the cleaning is finished, use a hose to clear off all the soap and dirt off the bat. You can use a sponge and a bucket of clean water if you don’t have a hose. Rinse off until all the dirt and soap is removed from the bat.
General use & care of the Baseball bat
If a bat isn’t taken care of properly, it will not last long, not to mention the bat will not be able to provide the performance the user wishes to. How the bat is generally used determines the longevity of the bat as well as its efficiency.
First, it is important to note that the bat is supposed to be used by only one player and giving it to friends and teammates only shortens the intended lifetime.
Second, the bat is supposed to be played under the correct environment in terms of temperatures. According to physical science, during the cold season, the baseball condenses, and this exceeds the required weight. With the increase in the weight of the baseball, the bat is prone to dents and unnecessary breakages.
It is therefore important to play under the right temperatures, and if the temperatures are below the recommended 15 degrees Celsius, you can use a cheaper bat. Finally, on the usage of the bat, it is important to avoid batting cages since the balls are unregulated in terms of weight.
You can read also: How to Use a Baseball Bat for Self-defense
How to Store & care the Baseball Bat?
Taking care of a player’s bat does not only equal to cleaning it occasionally but also taking proper steps before. The place where the bat is stored determines a lot about the time the bat will be useful to the player. Just like other delicate sports equipment, the bat has specifics in terms of the environmental conditions, humidity, and the level of tidiness of the store.
- Primarily, the bat should be stored in a store that is moderate in temperature. This means that the storage place should not be cold or too hot.
- Second, the store should have moderate humidity, and this helps in preserving the quality of the bat, especially the more advanced makes as well as the traditional wood bats.
- Finally, the store must be tidy and should not have dust. These factors must be considered because bats have specifics in the materials they are made from, and the conditions of the storage largely have an impact on bats.
In conclusion, although taking good care of the baseball bats do not make the bats have an endless duration of usage, at least there is an extension of the playtime. A well-taken care baseball bat also helps the player in getting the swings and hits right because the chances of the bat dents are minimized. No matter what kind of bat you have, you should take care of it properly in order to become skilled baseball player. Anyone can maintain their baseball bat with the guidelines above and polish their hitting skills along with their bat.
Are you looking for : Best Baseball Glove for 4 to 5 Year Old
My name is David Farnum and I’ve been a Little League Coach in my community for the past 7 years. With 2 boys playing baseball and 1 girl playing softball, most weekends I can be found near a baseball diamond.